Life is short.... Occasionally bend the rules.... Forgive quickly.... Kiss slowly.... Love truly.... Laugh uncontrollably.... And, never regret anything that made you smile....

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Driving into the sunset

Today was the first day in years that I have driven our truck to the sale yards. Prior to now I have been nursing and unable to take the truck. Getting my truck licence was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, surpassed only by going back to acute nursing after over twenty five years of aged care. Because Dig was unable to drive trucks anymore, I was booked in to get my heavy rigid, non-synchro truck licence (which is just boy speak for learning to drive with big truck gears!!). Because most girls don't follow through with their truck licences once they have them, the instructors give us a hard time. I was told DECA stands for DON'T EVER COME AGAIN! When we all know that it is really Driver Education Centre of Australia...

We loaded up 'Old Bull' into the old Bedford and I headed off into the sunset, literally, with the old fellow. He behaved like a perfect gentleman. Took notice of everything around him and stood still most of the way. If a cow moves around a lot in the back of the truck or trailer, it makes the driver work harder to keep their vehicle under control. When we arrived at the sale yards, 'Old Bull' became very excited at the pretty 'old ladies' he could see over the fence. He unloaded easily, with a real spring in his step, even though it was a limped spring - hence the reason the poor old fellow had to make the journey. My last sight of him was as he excitedly went down the pen towards the old girls!!

The old Bedford is a dream to drive. Very sturdy, the gears change easily. I just love it. If I had lots of money I would get this beautiful old truck botoxed to within an inch of its life!!

3 comments:

  1. love your truck..........we have a couple of old trucks that are unregistered..........the last time I drove one was years ago and it had no breaks........scary ever it was pretty flat area..........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosie love your blog and yes i love your old truck they have such character dont they.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colour of your truck Rosie. We have an old Dodge truck the same colour....

    ReplyDelete