Life is short.... Occasionally bend the rules.... Forgive quickly.... Kiss slowly.... Love truly.... Laugh uncontrollably.... And, never regret anything that made you smile....

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Sewing in the Cold.

The days here on the farm have been glorious. Sunshine all day, but night and cold temperatures come very early. It is not long until the shortest day of the year..

We have been spending most of the day outside doing our 'farm chores', and only heading inside when the light goes. As a result, not much sewing has been happening here.

It is so so cold down the other end of the house where my sewing room is. I am going to have to close my eyes to a little mess and move my sewing machine to our dining room where there is a bit of warmth.


This is a stitchery block-of-the-month designed by Cheryl Goss of Willowberry Designs called Under The Sea. I have really enjoyed all the stitching, and then the coloring of the stitching, but now the time has come to make it up.... This is where I stall... I have so many other quilt tops at the same stage...
At least this one I do have the borders on and it has been quilted, just needs the binding done!
Yes, I think it's time to move the sewing machine into the warmth, take away another excuse!!

Being cold inside is the perfect excuse for baking biscuits, and I found a really yummy recipe to share... I have used gluten free flours, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be just as nice with ordinary flour..

JAFFA CHOC-CHIP COOKIES.

125G butter
200g (1 cup) caster sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon grated orange rind
160g (1 cup) maize cornflour
200g (1 cup) chickpea flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarb. soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
120g chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease baking trays or line with baking paper.

1. Cream butter and sugar until light and creamy. Gradually add egg and orange rind until well combined.
2. Sift together flours, bicarb. soda and cream of tartar. Fold into butter mixture with chocolate chips.
3. Roll teaspoons of mixture into balls and place on prepared baking tray, allowing room for spreading.
4. Bake in pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, or until firm and golden.
Allow to stand for 5 minutes before removing from tray. Cool on wire racks.



12 comments:

  1. It is so cold... and so nice to sit with a quilt to finish on your lap... I love how you have done your Under the Sea... I saved the patterns but haven't got round to it..... yummo biscuits... I do love snacks!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy look at these, we love Jaffa Cakes, I'll be making them soon. Thanks for the recipe Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Under the Sea looks so nice, pretty colours! Thanks for the recipe, I always love trying new ones and the kids appreciate it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE that quilt - love Cheryl's designs! Get that binding on girl. Yes to moving your sewing machine - don't let the chill stop you from sewing. Thanks for the yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's one gorgeous quilt... perfect for a little boy don't you think! Stitching the binding on will keep you warm so go to it. Move your sewing machine too... it's no fun being cold.
    It's almost our longest day here.... and it's still cold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that quilt looks fantastic Rosie,and thankyou for the recipe my grand-daughter is coelaic so i will make them for her

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Rosie,

    Yes sewing in a warm room makes you finish quilts faster!!! Eating yummy biscuits at the same time also makes you work well!!!
    Stay warm.
    Happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh that stitching is amazing and I adore the border fabric you choose, perfect...You should definately move the machine to the warmth so you can make use of those extra long evenings during your winter months.

    I am spending more time sewing again since the weather here has gotten too hot to be outside.

    I am glad you enjoy seeing the Melon Bus's...after 7yrs I still love seeing them.

    Blessings Kelsie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Under the Sea quilt is just sweet ,take advantage of the warm room to sew , you will be happier .What do you call cold if I may ask? Those cookies look very yummy too!1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rosie. Love your BOM. I really like the shading and colouring. I have admired that technique in quilts I have seen but never been game enough to attempt it myself. Maybe one day! Thanks for the recipe- those biccies sound and look very yummy. Stay warm. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your under the sea quilt. And I'll have to try those tasty looking cookies. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmmmm jaffa choc chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete